Date:      Sun, 24 Oct 1999 14:20:36 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>
To:        ken@kdm.org (Kenneth D. Merry)
Cc:        shawjl@benfold.navy.mil (Shaw James Lester), questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Sony CDU-31A CD-ROM Drives

Kenneth D. Merry wrote,
> Shaw, James Lester wrote...
> > FreeBSD libserver.benfoldlibrary 3.3-RELEASE FreeBSD 3.3-RELEASE #0:
> > Mon Oct 18 10:10:15 GMT 1999
> > root@libserver:/usr/src/sys/compile/SrvKernel  i386
> >
> > I'm having trouble getting FreeBSD to recognize all my "SONY CDU31A
> > Rev 1.2b" drives. I have 4 total and it will only find 1. I have 2
> > cases daisy-chained together consisting of 2 drives each. Is there a
> > way to fix this problem?
>
> Check your cabling and termination.  You probably have termination enabled
> on a drive in the middle of the chain or something.
>
> If you continue to have trouble, send mail to the freebsd-scsi list, and
> make sure to include a detailed description of your cabling and termination
> setup.

I neglected to answer this the first time around since I didn't know
the answer. But I do know this advice is not sound. The Sony CDU31A is
NOT a SCSI CD-ROM. It is supported by the scd0 driver in FreeBSD. The
CDU31A wires up to a proprietary interface (read as: some funky ISA
card whose sole purpose is to support this CD-ROM).

I have a couple of these in some old 486's. It was hard enough to get
_one_ of those things to work. I didn't even know you could chain
those things. If you are having problems, I might be able to provide
the references I found that helped me get mine to work.