Date:      Fri, 31 Dec 1999 09:53:49 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Mr. K." <bsd@inbox.org>
To:        Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Panic: Out of mbuf clusters

On Thu, 30 Dec 1999, Mike Smith wrote:

> > OK, so I raised NMBCLUSTERS to 4096, and installed a second freebsd-stable
> > box also with NMBCLUSTERS at 4096, and I managed to have them both panic
> > at the same time (unfortunately, only one of them gave me a crash dump).
> > But anyway, here is the stack trace, hopefully someone can tell me if this
> > is the same as the known problem, and whether 4.0 would fix it.
>
> Again, 4096 is (obviously) not high enough.  No, upgrading to 4.x won't
> "fix" your problem.  The panic is telling you that you _have_not_ tuned
> the system correctly.

4096 _is_ high enough for what I want.  Consider a web company who gets
5Mbps of transfer request 99.9% of the time and 1000Mbps of transfer
request 0.1% of the time.  Would you tell them that a 10Mbps internet
connection is (obviously) not high enough?  Would you consider it a bug if
their machine rebooted every time they got more than 10Mbps in requests?

Consider cdrom.com.  Would you consider it a bug if freebsd rebooted every
time they received 5001 simultaneous connection requests and tell them to
tune their FTP server correctly?

How am I supposed to test my system, both hardware and software, if I
can't push them to their limits?