Date:      Thu, 17 Feb 2000 18:55:24 -0800
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@3-cities.com>
To:        BCSFD204@aol.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD and "Free ISPs"?

BCSFD204@aol.com wrote:

> It appears that the search engines are still down so...
> Something strange is also going on with the new free Email I'm trying.  If
> this is double posted, sorry.
> Anyway...
>
> My wife does not want to give up her AOL and I have not been able to talk her
> into something better than dial-up AOLnet (e.g. Road Runner) where I can run
> in the 'background' while she's doing her thing.  :-|

There isn't anything keeping you using AOL's poor throughput and
download idiosyncrasies. What you do is get an ISP and then set the
AOL program to access through the Internet. You either dial our or use
an existing connection. You entering AOL through their back-door. Her
program works just fine and anything you want to do will to. Not only
that, it won't timeout with a line drop because she wasn't doing
something on AOL every five minutes or what ever the inactivity
timeout is.

I use user-ppp on FreeBSD as my dialer and access AOL from one of my
Windows 2000 Pro machines. If I want the line to stay up, I get my
mail every three minutes and it will stay up for 8 hours, which is my
ISP's limit for a connection.

Kent

> Has anybody tried to use FreeBSD with one or more of the "Free ISPs"?  I've
> peeked at netzero but it only appears to work with Micro$oft Window$.
>
> I know this is a not an optimal solution but what's aguy to do when he can't
> get 'funding'?
> Cheers...

Kent Stewart
Richland, WA