Date:      27 Feb 2003 11:24:31 -0600
From:      Craig Boston <craig@meoqu.gank.org>
To:        "Brian T. Schellenberger" <bts@babbleon.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Mozilla window won't open after upgrade - FIXED

On Thu, 2003-02-27 at 11:09, Brian T. Schellenberger wrote:

> I strongly recommend always using "su -" instead of "su" to switch to
> root; it ensures that your "regular" environment doesn't "pollute" your
> root environment.  Frequently less convenient in the short term but it
> saves a lot of aggrevation with issues like this.

Good advice.  I normally do on non-Kerberized boxes, and wholeheartedly
agree with you that an unqualified "su" can cause a lot of trouble.  In
this case, the problem was that I was using ksu, which doesn't seem to
have a comparable option for resetting the environment.  I normally
"su -" right after using ksu, but forgot to that one time... :)

If not used carefully, sudo can also cause the same type of problems.
But that's another discussion entirely.

Craig