Date:      Wed, 24 Apr 1996 13:02:21 -0500 (CDT)
From:      ptroot@uswest.com (Paul T. Root)
To:        /G=David/S=Sandel/DD.ALISA=SANDELD@mhs-emerson.attmail.com
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Tftp and bootp

In a previous message, /G=David/S=Sandel/DD.ALISA=SANDELD@mhs-emerson.attmail.com said:

> Hi FreeBSD ----
>
> Question # 1
>

> I want to use tftp. What is the directory that the files will actually
> go in ??? Do I need to setup an account for a client to upload to the
> Freebsd tftp server ???

You need to define the directory that you want to allow tftp traffic in.
On suns it is by default /tftpboot. That seems to be resonable.

You start it by uncommenting the line in /etc/inetd.conf and appending
/tftpboot to that line. Then kill -HUP `ps -ax |grep inetd |grep -v grep`

No you don't need an account for tftp, that's why its call "trival ftp".

> I want to use Freebsd as a bootp server. How do I set this up ?? What
> files, directory etc ???

You need to add a line in /etc/inetd.conf like:
bootps  dgram   udp     wait    root    /usr/libexec/tcpd        bootpd

and kill -HUP inetd again.

You'll also need to setup the /etc/bootptab file. You can find format of
that in the manpage for bootpd.

If you are not using tcpd (you probably should) substitute  bootpd for tcpd in
the above line.

> I want to use FreeBSD as a DNS ... How do I set this up ???

Let's say your domain is startup.com and you have a class C network: 192.220.6
And that you have 2 name servers 192.220.6.1 and 192.220.6.2

As a client create the /etc/resolv.conf file:
domain startup.com
nameserver 192.220.6.1
nameserver 192.220.6.2

As a server. Create /etc/named.boot:

directory	/var/spool/named
primary		startup.com		p.startup.com
primary		6.220.192.in-addr.arpa	p.192.220.6
primary		0.0.127.in-addr.arpa	p.localhost
cache		.			p.root.cache

Then you need to create you p.start.com p.192.220.6 and p.localhost in
/var/spool/named

You can get the lastest p.root.cache of the net, or from your ISP.

Here's what a p.localhost should look like:
;$ORIGIN 127.IN-ADDR.ARPA.
;       Tue Apr  9 10:04:58 CDT 1996
;       changing to a new scheme to better fit in with uswest.com namespace
;       Starting SCCS and changing serial number to YYYYMMDDNN
;
;       SCCS ID = "@(#)p.localhost      1.2  4/10/96"
;
;       Please use /etc/named/editdb to change these files
;               ptroot@uswest.com
;
;       This file actually should only have to change when there are
;       changes to the nameservers.
@       IN      SOA     dns.startup.com. postmaster.startup.com. (
                        1996041001      ; Serial
                        1800            ; Refresh - 30 minutes
                        300             ; Retry - 5 minutes
                        604800          ; Expire - 7 days
                        86400           ; Minimum - 24 hours
                        )
        IN      NS      dns.startup.com.
        IN      NS      dns2.startup.com.
1       IN      PTR     localhost.

In this, it is assumed that you have a machine named (or CNAMEd) dns and
another called dns2.

Most importantly, before you do this. Go out and give Cricket Liu some
money and buy _DNS and Bind_ from O'Reilly. He's a really great guy, and
its a book you don't want to due without when running DNS. There's also
_TCP/IP Network Administration_ by Craig Hunt from O'Reilly.

Paul.

--
Paul T. Root - USWEST !NTERPRISE Networking Service	ptroot@uswest.com

I believe a leaf of grass is no less than the journeywork of the stars.
                                      --Walt Whitman