Date:      Tue, 6 Feb 1996 15:50:54 -0700
From:      Nate Williams <nate@sri.MT.net>
To:        Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
Cc:        rkw@dataplex.net (Richard Wackerbarth), hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: On keeping a src tree

[ Keeping a separate locally hacked src tree from the 'reference' tree ]
> How do you handle "config", since it is still (improperly, IMO) not
> built as part of the kernel build tree and wants to be installed?

You install the old binary (which works in your tree as 'config.old' and
hope that you remember it whenever you build your local kernels. :)

> How do you generate diffs?  For those of us without commit priviledges,
> we can't check into the main tree and have the code show up in our
> next SUP.

CVS is really the only easy way of doing this and staying current.

> I use "cvs diff" (I admit that this has only recently worked;

Hmm, it's worked since day one for me.

>I had to
> update my CVS to keep it from bombing out on my changed files on a
> "cvs update",

This was due to the 'death-state' support I suspect.

> and I had to disable the client and server code, since
> I did not want to install the new headers on my host system and code
> is still being built relative to the installed header files instead
> of the header files in the source tree, like you'd expect).

Huh?  When you run things locally, you shouldn't have to modify anything
on your system.  Why would you have to install new header files because
of the CVS client-server code?

Nate