Date:      Tue, 01 Sep 1998 10:49:09 -0500
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@nebula.tbe.com>
To:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FAQ: best currently supported sound card?

Oliver Fromme writes:
> Roland Jesse wrote in list.freebsd-multimedia:
>  > I searched the mailinglist archieves. The result comes basically down to:
>  > Get a Soundblaster - a real one, not a clone.
>  >
>  > But there are even quite a bunch of Soundblasters out there, like the AWE
>  > 64 Gold/Value, Soundblaster 16, Soundblaster 32, ...
>  >
>  > Any recommendations are very much appreciated.

[...]

> DO NOT buy an SB16, Vibra16, SB32 or any older cards
> from Creative Labs or clones of such cards.  They have
> lousy DACs/preamps.  Their frequency response and S/N
> ratio is miles away from anything called "hifi".  They
> might be OK for games, though.  ;-)

This thread has touched some nerves as I too am in the market for a
sound card. Audio quality is important as I'll often be listening via
headphones and my Sony MDR-V600 headphones are very good at
demonstrating audio deficiencies.

Full duplex is important too. When I get a sound card I want to play
with conferencing.

Didn't find a pcm(4) man page, as I'd hoped for. But did find Luigi's
/usr/src/sys/i386/isa/snd/{CARDS,README} files. These suggest PCI is
not yet supported. Nor is /dev/synth, at least until Summer '98?

Darn it! No synth(4) man page either. And I can't find it in
/dev/MAKEDEV. Was thinking about making a 300 baud modem (transmit
only) and a synthesizer would be Just The Thing. Apparently I'm looking
in all the wrong places.

Netsurfing failed to turn up definite sources of Crystal CS423x based
ISA cards. Lots of Yamaha 724 based PCI cards appeared. Admit I didn't
search terribly hard. Any suggestions as to quality sources of quality
cards?

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@nebula.tbe.com