Date:      Mon, 19 Jan 2004 10:30:18 -0600
From:      "Andrew L. Gould" <algould@datawok.com>
To:        Quinn Ellis <Quinn1@gmx.de>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: HDD space

On Monday 19 January 2004 10:03 am, Quinn Ellis wrote:
> Hello all.
>
> I have a 120gig drive i'm trying to install freeBSD onto the end of.
> i have two 51gig windows slices, and one unformatted slice of 10gig.
>
> FreeBSD is reporting this as only about 5 gig, after it recommends its own
> settings. I have tried to set it as per the BIOS, but this doesn't seem to
> help.
>
> Any ideas.
>
> Quinn

The advertised 120GB is measured using the marketing standard (those damned
marketers) of 1 Kilobyte = 1,000 bytes -- not 1Kilobyte = 1,024 bytes; so
you'll never get a full 120GB under any operating system.  You can confirm
this by reading the small print on various hard drives' retail boxes.  It
looks like your system is seeing a total of 117GB, which is what I'm getting
here.

Sorry for the bad news,

Andrew Gould