Date:      Wed, 19 Feb 1997 23:09:39 -0800
From:      Jason Wells <jcwells@u.washington.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Making a boot floppy

Here is what I have done.

fdformat -ted a new disk.

disklabel -ed the disk.

newfs -B the disk with out setting -s -b args. This puts the boot
blocks  from /usr/mdec on the floppy right?

mounted floppy successfully.

copied /kernel to the floppy succesfully.

REBOOT kernel started to load but eventually resulted in kernel panic
-   no init.

made a miniscule tree on the floppy including /sbin/init /etc/rc
/etc/ttys /dev/console /dev/ttyv1 /dev/ttyv2

REBOOT resulting in no kernel panic (yaaahoo) but resulting in system
hang (boohoo)

The man page on the init program is sufficiently vague that I cannot
determine what is missing on my floppy that is needed to support boot.

I know that FAQS say rawrite dist.fs and then delete rm -rf. I want
  to know how to make this work more that just wanting it to work.
--
 __   __
/ 0\ / 0\         Thank you * Highperformance.net

-----BEGIN PGP MESSAGE-----
Version: 2.6.2

owEBqQBW/4kAlQMFADL6i3KNL/e/LcfTaQEBMpYD/1fGPervFuXq29BKaBfOXB42
jV4rHGby+/1WUc6cUB1oUV7IKz7cUHRs/e2kWiJmg9yuJr7nag67Rowhc4Ea0BDe
cc2fJ6E9xEhjWbJ1okMjFUmnFsINfO1lIEftBKTrwsRWCegtFMWYkDrbKYqdfA8R
VbbSa47zTZ1zFUgmlQEvrA9iCWJsYW5rLnR4dAAAAAA=
=li6b
-----END PGP MESSAGE-----