Date:      Tue, 12 Dec 2000 13:52:33 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Nick Hibma <n_hibma@qubesoft.com>
To:        Mark Huizer <freebsd@dohd.org>
Cc:        Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: USB modem?

Whether a device is recognized by a driver depends on one thing
only: the probe routine in the driver. It either has to conform to the
specs and this device obviously doesn't, or it has to be supported by
the driver and therefore the IDs of the device need to be known.

The entries in usbdevs* are simply converted to a list of device names
plus defines for the use of drivers, to make things simpler.

Nick

On Tue, 12 Dec 2000, Mark Huizer wrote:

> > > Is it a case of being in the usbdevs list _and_ supporting those specs?
> > > Or just following the specs?
> >
> > I believe that being listed in usbdevs isn't a requirement, but I'm
> > not positive. I also haven't had any look getting the thing to work
> > dynamically loading the various modules involved.
> >
> It is detected as a generic device:
> ugen0: Siemens AG Vox Chicago 390 ISDN, rev 1.10/1.00, addr 2
>
> I will try to build a kernel with the umodem device in it, see if that
> makes a difference
>
> --
> Nice testing in little China...

Qube Software, Ltd.                                             Private:
n_hibma@qubesoft.com                              n_hibma@webweaving.org
                                                     n_hibma@freebsd.org
http://www.qubesoft.com/                   http://www.etla.net/~n_hibma/