Date:      Wed, 17 Apr 1996 10:54:47 -0700
From:      griswold@ix.netcom.com (silvia griswold )
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG.Hi.guys.I.bought.the.two.discs.set.of.FreeBSD.2.1.and.i.tried.to

install many times but something is not going wrong so thanks for any
help. My system is a Pentium 90 MHz, 16 MB ram, Video Card Hercules
Stingray 64 with 2 MB, 2 hard disks (HD) : the master is a IBM 1.08 GB
and the slave,is where i installed the freebsd,is a Western Digital 850
MB.
    I copied the CD-ROM to my first HD ( yes, the whole CD because i
was with more than 700 MB free ) and did the Novice install taking all
the second HD using the A (All) option in the fdisk using the defaults
and I also mounted after that. After the installation and the system
boots and  comes these messages:

swapon : /dev/wd1s1b: Device not configured
Automatic reboot in progress ...
Can't open /dev/rwd1a: Device not configured
 /dev/rwd1a: CAN'T CHECK FILE SYSTEM
 /dev/rwd1a: UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY: Run fsck MANUALLY
Automatic file system check failed... help!
Enter pathname of shell or RETURN for sh:

    So I run fsck and the system said:
Can't open /dev/rwd1a: Device not configured
Can't open /dev/rwd1s1f: Device not configured
Can't open /dev/rwd1s1e: Device not configured

    I also run df so see which file system were mounted and only the
root_device file system was mounted.
    I tried to install using others configurations such as creating one
partition for file system and one swap and mounted the file system but
the same thing happened.
    Why the others file system wasn't mounted ?
    I read in the WWW of FreeBSD that if the directory /usr/src/sys
does not exist then the kernel source is not installed and my system
does not have this directory, the soft link /sys is there but does not
work.
    When the system boot I tried the -c option and tried to configure
but didn't help.
    What I should do in the installation to have the 2 HD and choose
the operating system that I wanna boot ? Can the FreeBSD manage this
from the slave HD ? How ?

      Thanks for the help folks, I know that technical support is a
hard work !!