Date:      Mon, 24 Nov 2014 18:28:52 -0600
From:      Andrew Berg <aberg010@my.hennepintech.edu>
To:        Dave <freebsd01@dgmm.net>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [SOLVED] multimedia/x264 build failure, linker error

On 2014.11.24 11:02, Dave wrote:
> It appears I may have missed an announcement somewhere.
>
> pkg delete x264 lists the installed dependances
>
> make deinstall in multimedia/x264
>
> make install in mulimedia/libx264
>
> make deinstall reinstall clean in the dependant ports, eg mencoder, mplayer,
> ffmpeg, gstreamer-plugins-x264
>
> So, is multimedia/x264 deprecated now in favour of multimedia/libx264?
> There's nothing in /usr/ports/UPDATING
As far as ports that need the library, yes, they will pull in libx264 instead.
This resolves the issue where ffmpeg and x264 would end up depending on each
other's libraries. There should be no issues for any ports that need libx264 to
pull in the new libx264 port as a dependency.

I am trying to get a message in UPDATING, but the wheels turn slowly for those
without commit bits.

This is the proposed message:

  x264 was split into the application and its library. If an application
  that uses libx264 is updated before x264 itself, multimedia/libx264 will
  conflict with the old x264 package.

  Delete the existing x264:
  # pkg delete x264

  And then install the updated x264 and/or upgrade the other applications that
  depend on libx264.