Date:      Thu, 23 Jan 2003 22:24:02 +0100
From:      Julian Mayer <julianmayer@mac.com>
To:        Peter Pentchev <roam@ringlet.net>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Port: portupgrade-20021216

Am Donnerstag, 23.01.03, um 15:15 Uhr (Europe/Vienna) schrieb Peter
Pentchev:

> On Thu, Jan 23, 2003 at 03:11:46PM +0100, Julian Mayer wrote:
>>
>>> Yes, it would seem that the stock ftpd does not provide a way to
>>> specify
>>> a different port/service to use in daemon mode.  In inetd mode,
>>> everything is fine and dandy.
>>>

>> how is this fine in inetd mode? inetd uses /etc/services to map
>> protocolstoports too AFAIK...
>
> As I wrote in my very first reply to you, all you need to do is modify
> inetd.conf and invoke the ftpd program via a *different* service, not
> 'ftp'.  That is, take the following line:
>
> ftp	stream	tcp	nowait	root	/usr/libexec/ftpd	ftpd -l
>
> ..and change it to:
>
> 221	stream	tcp	nowait	root	/usr/libexec/ftpd	ftpd -l
>
> Restart inetd, and you have an FTP daemon listening on port 221 instead
> of 21.

hm, that seem to work for me (in fact i not only tried to replace "ftp"
with a number, but also with another servicename to get it running on
another port)
anyway how should inetd be able to run ftpd on another port if ftpd
itself doesnt have this capability?
regards, julian