Date:      Thu, 5 Feb 1998 20:36:09 -0600
From:      Richard Wackerbarth <rkw@dataplex.net>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        Mikael Karpberg <karpen@ocean.campus.luth.se>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: boot floppy banner

At 7:46 PM -0600 2/5/98, Mike Smith wrote:
>> According to Mike Smith:
>> > It occurred to me this morning that the *ideal* behaviour would be as
>> > follows:
>> >
>> > If boot.banner exists, display it, else if boot.help exists, display it.
>> > Don't have a 'help' command.  Instead, if an unrecognised command is
>> > entered, and finding a kernel named thus fails, look for a file named
>> > boot.<command> and display it instead.
>> >
>> > This lets you have more than one help screen, just for openers.  It
>> > might even reduce the code footprint a little.
>>
>> With all these boot.XXXX files, and stuff, isn't it time for doing
>> /boot/XXXX instead? Seems to me the root should have as few files as
>> possible.
>
>Last time I proposed that, Bruce was rather unhappy about it.  IMHO
>it's the right approach though.

I imagine that his objection is that he will either need to understand
each fs directory structure or go through even more special code to force
things into fixed locations.

Personally, I would like to see "/" purged of everything possible.
However, I would like to add a "/.rc" file to be used as a stub in
place of "/etc/rc". This would permit me to have a way to mount
"/etc" as a read-only file system and still maintain a writeable root
in a mfs.

Richard Wackerbarth