Date:      Mon, 21 Feb 2005 12:45:40 +0000
From:      Xian <ml-freebsd-newbies@codepad.net>
To:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: freebsd-newbies  help....

On Saturday 19 February 2005 01:52, sannsb@canada.com wrote:
> On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 12:01:05 +0000 (GMT),
>
> freebsd-newbies-request@freebsd.org wrote:
> > I am new at freeBSD, I'always self taught at a lot of
>
> things. I've gotten freeBSD 5.2 and 5.3 to do alot of
> things. I just can't figure out how to set up a primary
> DNS and to get apache to use the proper name
> i.e.www.nnnn.com.
>     I've read a lot of text on the website but still
> not clear.
>      Rod.
<snip>

A couple of options that might be useful for apache, here is a snippet from my
httpd.conf

# ServerName gives the name and port that the server uses to identify itself.
# This can often be determined automatically, but we recommend you specify
# it explicitly to prevent problems during startup.
#
# If this is not set to valid DNS name for your host, server-generated
# redirections will not work.  See also the UseCanonicalName directive.
#
# If your host doesn't have a registered DNS name, enter its IP address here.
# You will have to access it by its address anyway, and this will make
# redirections work in a sensible way.
#
ServerName home.codepad.net

#
# UseCanonicalName: Determines how Apache constructs self-referencing
# URLs and the SERVER_NAME and SERVER_PORT variables.
# When set "Off", Apache will use the Hostname and Port supplied
# by the client.  When set "On", Apache will use the value of the
# ServerName directive.
#
UseCanonicalName Off

--
/Xian

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."
Albert Einstein