Date:      Wed, 25 Aug 1999 23:15:12 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@picnic.mat.net>
To:        Christopher Masto <chris@netmonger.net>
Cc:        scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Seagate vs Quantum.. opinions?

On Wed, 25 Aug 1999, Christopher Masto wrote:

> I have a situation where I asked for Seagate Barracudas and was
> shipped "QUANTUM ATLAS IV 9 WLS 0707" instead.  Before I send them
> back, I want to make sure I'd be making the right decision.
>
> As people here have intimate knowledge of which drives FreeBSD gets
> along best with, and which ones have nasty quirks and firmware bugs,
> should I keep the Atlases or the Barracudas?

Have you tried the IBM drives?  I know you said Seagate and Quantum, but
the IBM drives seem (to me) to be, all at the same time, the cheapest,
coolest, quietest, and very nearly the fastest.  Check the prices, if
you go to the places I go to, you're in for a shock.

I am really starting to be an IBM booster (take a look at all the free
source code available at their site, if you need other reasons).  Times
sure have changed, haven't they?  They don't seem to be trying to be
such open monopolists these days.

> --
> Christopher Masto         Senior Network Monkey      NetMonger Communications
> chris@netmonger.net        info@netmonger.net        http://www.netmonger.net
>
> Free yourself, free your machine, free the daemon -- http://www.freebsd.org/

Chuck Robey                | Interests include any kind of voice or data
chuckr@picnic.mat.net      | communications topic, C programming, and Unix.
213 Lakeside Drive Apt T-1 |
Greenbelt, MD 20770        | picnic.mat.net: FreeBSD/i386
(301) 220-2114             | jaunt.mat.net : FreeBSD/Alpha