Date:      Mon, 03 Dec 2001 14:18:11
From:      "Thor Legvold" <tlegvold@hotmail.com>
To:        axel@axel.truedestiny.net
Cc:        friar_josh@webwarrior.net, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Firewall rules (ipfw)

Axel wrote:
>What about ipfilter/ipnat combo for this setup ? ipfilter has way >better
>performance than ipfw (or you should mess up the config) since it >doesn't
>have
>to copy packets from kernel to userland. At home (cable) I use it on a
> >486-33/
>16MB. I had natd running for a while but that caused a 100% cpu load >when
>there was much traffic, now with ipnat it never gets higher then 20% ;->)

I can look into it. I'd kind of like to get ipfw/nat working right since
I've invested so much time in it - learning a copletely different ruleset
syntax is not something I look forward to right now. I'd like to just get
everything up and semi-ok, and then spend time tweaking here and there as I
have time.  IPF and ipnat would also require a kernel rebuild, which isn't
difficult or impossible, just more work when I already have little spare
time.

Thanks for the suggestion.

>Gr,
>--