Date:      Wed, 03 Feb 1999 20:51:44 -0700
From:      Emmanuel Gravel <chemtechweb@psn.net>
To:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   PS/2 ports on a Dell Dimension XPS R450

I just got this machine, never had a problem installing and finding
the PS/2 port on other computers, but for some reason, this one
doesn't find it.  I'm still pretty much a newbie at this.  I have
FreeBSD 2.2.7 release CD's from last October.

This motherboard is the one without the onboard sound card, if that's
any help.  Here are the error messages:

psm0: current command byte:0047
kbdio: TEST_AUX_PORT status:00fa
kbdio: DIAGNOSE status:0055
kbdio: TEST_KBD_PORT status:00fa
rsm: keyboard port failed
psm0: the aux port is not functionning (250).
psm0 not found at 0x60

The keyboard (also PS/2) works fine, and I know that the mouse and
keyboard are both in the right port.  This is a dual boot machine
with Win98 on it.  The HD is a little over 8 Gig.  I don't even know
where to start to trouble shoot this one.  Would a more recent stable
version be the solution to the problem?  I have a 3Com/USR 56K V.90
modem inside (PnP but not Win).

Also, I bought a network card, thinking it was supported, but apparently
the driver I'm trying to use for it doesn't work.  Here's the message:

pci0:15: vendor0x11ad, device0x0002, class=network(ethernet)
int a irq 10 [no dpiver assigned]

It's a Linksys LNE100TX.  Of course, it's PnP and I don't know if I
can disable the PnP ability.  I thought is was supported under the de
driver, and I don't know which driver would support it.  They didn't
have that wide a range of network cards to chose from at Fry's, at
least not for the 10/100's.  I need to know now if it's supported or
not, and which ones are (the other one at Fry's was a DLink DFE-530,
not the DE-530 which is known to be supported, and I know the Intel line
isn't sold by Fry's anymore).  I've checked the list of supported cards
and no other ones seemed to be supported by FreeBSD.  I need an
inexpensive yet stable card, of a very recent model (since that's all
they have apparently).  I still have about a week to return it without
any questions, and I need to know if it's supported by a later version
than 2.2.7, or if there's a driver being written for it as we speak...
It's not a critical issue since it will be connected to the net through
modem most of the time, but when I'll bring it in a LAN, I'd like for
it to have a working, supported nic inside...

Thanks for your help!

Manu