Date:      Fri, 19 Jun 1998 15:58:23 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Open Systems Networking <opsys@mail.webspan.net>
To:        Wm Brian McCane <root@bmccane.maxbaud.net>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: TweakDUN

On Fri, 19 Jun 1998, Wm Brian McCane wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> 	I got an interesting message from the people that make RealPlayer.
> Actually, it is interesting for two reasons: 1 - I only have the Unix
> version of RealPlayer, so why do I care about Windows 95.  2 - It mentions
> changes that it makes to networking under Windows 95 to eliminate
> fragmentation, which improves Internet data transer rates.  Anyway, my
> question is whether these types of changes are already in FreeBSD.  Also,
> how would they make changes on the PC to prevent fragmentation on the Unix
> box that is sending them the data, since they claim quicker downloads 8P.

This doesnt concern you at all. Your running unix so your fine.
Only read on if your interested in the little I know about this, since its
mostly flameage.

ARGH! I hate this. I've only seen this now like oh a BILLION times.
This has nothing to do with FreeBSD it has to do with 95's stack being
BROKEN. PLAIN AND SIMPLE. This has been discussed on ALOT of lists the
first and last that I followed this on was NANOG. I believe karl is on on
NANOG and can give you a better breakdown of the situtation. Basically in
a nutshell windows stack sucks. It has to do with dropping the MTU to 576
to "increase performance" and "reduce fragmentation" instead of their
stack just working CORRECTLY. I'm so F*CK*NG mad about this. I have two
ISP's here so the poor people of this town dont have a lot of choice, and
ONE of them 2 days after the first article appeared about this *WINDOWS
ONLY* problem decided to LOCK their terminal server dialup interfaces at
*576* DESTROYING any benefit a non windows user could get, just to fix a
windows only problem. Im really disgusted about this.

Grumble Grumble,
Chris

--
"Linux... The choice of a GNUtered generation."

===================================| Open Systems Networking And Consulting.
  FreeBSD 2.2.6 is available now!  | Phone: 316-326-6800
-----------------------------------| 1402 N. Washington, Wellington, KS-67152
   FreeBSD: The power to serve!    | E-Mail: opsys@open-systems.net
      http://www.freebsd.org       | Consulting-Network Engineering-Security