Date:      Tue, 3 Jun 1997 14:59:17 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Jimbo Bahooli <moke@sucks.to.be.you.net>
To:        Michael Class <michaelc@tmbbwmc.bbn.hp.com>
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NCR-SCSI and CD-ROM Burner Problem on FBSD 2.2.2

On Tue, 3 Jun 1997, Michael Class wrote:

> Hello,
>
> i have a very nasty problem here when I try to burn CD's.

>              CD-ROM burner, I get error-messages and the writing stops.
>              Same thing happens when I am in "dummy"-mode (means just
>              transfering the data, but not actually burning)

> ASUS P6NP5-MB, 200Mhz P6, 64MB-RAM, Miro SV40-Graphics-Card,
> Symbios SYM8751SP-SCSI-Controller, SoundBlaster AWE32, NE2000-Clone,
> Quantum 34300W, Quantum PD1800S, Toshiba XM-3701, HP 4020i, HP34450.

If possible try to return the the hp 4020i for a different cdr.  Its known
to be defective and is why they discontinued the model line.

Personally I am on my second hp 4020i, my first was replaced free of
charge when it started getting 'write append errors' after > 300 or megs
written to the disk.  The retailer admitted that this one will eventually
suffer the same fate.

In this whole mess up of purchasing a second rate cdr its going to cost me
15% restocking fee, plus the difference in price of the new cdr's which
are coming in less then a month.  These new cdr's supposedly have far few
moving parts and are much more reliable.