Date:      Fri, 14 Dec 2001 12:40:50 -0700
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        Hiten Pandya <hitmaster2k@yahoo.com>, Brad Knowles <brad.knowles@skynet.be>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG, phk@FreeBSD.ORG, grog@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: IBM suing (was: RMS Suing was [SUGGESTION] - JFS for FreeBSD)

At 12:34 PM 12/14/2001, Hiten Pandya wrote:

>For me, any software that comes under
>agreeable licensing, i.e. GPL and BSD License, MIT
>License etc. and also has good quality, e.g. GCC,
>binutils, gnuplot and also other BSD License software
>is good enough for me or for any other company i would
>say.

The GPL is not "agreeable." It is anti-business and
anti-programmer and should not be tolerated in any
way, shape, or form in a BSD source tree.

It would be far better to build on softupdates, which
is an exceptionally powerful technology that's unique
to BSD.

Even if journaling is desired, a technology based on
softupdates would minimize data loss and reduce
the degree to which the state of the file system had
to be rolled back after a crash.

In short, perhaps the next step should be "firmupdates."

--Brett