Date:      Mon, 21 Oct 2002 17:41:17 -0400
From:      "John Daniels" <jmd526@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: having trouble setting up X on Fbsd 4.7 w/ ATI Mach6

I had the same problem.

'ati' is not listed, so I used the default/vga.  When I finished the
install, startx failed.

I did some rearch at www.XFree86.org and found that I needed to enter
'ati' for that parameter (I think on that screen, the driver defaulted
to 'ati' and it was asking for a chipset??) so both driver and chipset
needs to be 'ati' -- if you enter 'mach64', you loose some
functionality.  Note: as you mention, nether 'ati' or 'mach64' are
options.

Because I didn't do it during install, I can't tell you 100% that you
should enter 'ati' during the install, but you can get more info at
www.XFree86.org, or edit the XFConfig86 file after the install like I
did.

Using 'ati' might also help with modeline, I'm not sure.  Modeline
worked ok for me.

John

(c) Copyright 2002  John Daniels.  All rights reserved.