Date:      Tue, 29 Jan 2002 10:53:49 -0500
From:      Robert Hough <rch@acidpit.org>
To:        jim <jim@jwweeks.com>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Security methods

On Tue, Jan 29, 2002, jim wrote:

> I would like to get a rough idea as to what people are using for hacker
> detection i.e. port scan logging, deception software, etc.  Possibly some
> pointers on recently well written articles.

man security - if you have not already. It's not a be all, end all
guide or anything, but I think it's a good start in the right direction.

Things like aide, logcheck, and other utilities make for good first
starters, but there are tons of other things that can be done too. Hell,
just digging around in ports/security can be hours of fun. :)

Plenty of things to read here, should keep ya busy for a bit:
http://rr.sans.org/intrusion/intrusion_list.php

--
Robert Hough (rch@acidpit.org)