Date:      Thu, 25 Sep 2014 16:51:03 -0400
From:      Rick Miller <vmiller@hostileadmin.com>
To:        Guido Falsi <mad@madpilot.net>
Cc:        freebsd-ports <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>, Bryan Drewery <bdrewery@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Poudriere Build of pkg_* repos?

On Thu, Sep 25, 2014 at 3:05 PM, Guido Falsi <mad@madpilot.net> wrote:

> On 09/25/14 20:57, Rick Miller wrote:
> > On Thu, Sep 25, 2014 at 10:43 AM, Guido Falsi <mad@madpilot.net> wrote:
> > [snip]
>

> > =======================<phase: patch
> >============================
> > ===>  Patching for bash-4.3.24
> > ===>  Applying distribution patches for bash-4.3.24
> > ===>  Applying extra patch /distfiles/local-patches/8_4-amd64/bash.patch
> > ===>  Applying extra patch
> > /usr/ports/shells/bash/files/extrapatch-colonbreakswords
> > ===>  Applying extra patch
> > /usr/ports/shells/bash/files/extrapatch-implicitcd
> > ===>  Applying FreeBSD patches for bash-4.3.24

> > The first sign that something didn't appear to have gone as expected was
> > that the package was built as bash-4.3.24.tbz as opposed to
> > bash-4.3.25.tbz.  The above test was executed observing the behavior of a
> > still vulnerable binary.
>
> The way you are applying the patch simply modifies the code being
> compiled by the port, you're not patching the port itself, so the port
> maintains the same version number.

Makes sense

> > The test was performed on an 8.4 host with a [unpatched] bash-4.3.24
> after
> > forcefully removing the package and adding the new, patched package.  It
> > complained of dependencies on packages that were already installed, but
> not
> > up to the version of the dependency.  After manually fixing these
> > dependencies (forcefully deleting the existing dependencies and
> installing
> > the new ones), the test was executed once again to the same results.
> >
> > Could this be an issue of the order the patches were applied in or ??
>
> You should check the build log and see if in the patching phase there
> was any error.

The above log snippet is from the patch phase of the build indicating
success (well, at least no error).  A build with the wrong patch was
attempted that did indicate errors, as expected.

The full log can be viewed at http://pastebin.com/hwHwJAKK

Is there some way in the log to identify if the source was patched and
built correctly?  Does Poudriere [ I say Poudriere realizing that it likely
does not, but perhaps the system does? ] provide the ability to review the
source code after patching to actually verify the patch was applied?  A
cursory search of the filesystem where Poudriere stores the jail turned up
no leads.

--
Take care
Rick Miller