Date:      Thu, 23 Dec 1999 08:00:37 -0800 (PST)
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@hub.freebsd.org>
To:        Ptacek <ptacek@dashmail.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: DES routines?

On Sun, 19 Dec 1999, Ptacek wrote:

> I am looking for some routines to perform DES encryption in electronic code
> book mode.

I assume you have some reason for wanting ECB, and not the usual (more
secure) CBC mode..

> I have found the ecb_cyrpt function, however when I try and use it the
> buffer is not encrypted.
> Am I missing something, do these functions not work, and is there a better
> way of doing this?

Hmm..I can't find any documentation (manpages) on ecb_crypt, which
suggests it's a deprecated interface. You should use the des_ecb_encrypt
function and related calls as described in that manpage, as these are the
"standard FreeBSD API". Note the different calling syntax.

Kris