Date:      Wed, 13 Sep 2000 20:13:05 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Bosko Milekic <bmilekic@dsuper.net>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Clusters larger than PAGE_SIZE and contigmalloc()

  Hi,

  	With the recent cleanups and SMP work that I'm involved with
  revolving around mbufs and friends, I feel that it's about the time to
  raise this issue.

  	I'd like to know:

	Are there any people out there using the "large cluster" feature
  (i.e. manually defining the cluster size, MCLBYTES, to be larger than
  a PAGE_SIZE?) If so, how useful do you find this? Did you stumble across
  any problems worth mentionning?

  	I'm wondering if it would be worth just scrapping this code, as
  contigmalloc() doesn't help us in this case much anyway, and since most,
  if not all of the code, that needs such a feature maintains its own free
  lists and has its own allocator, which is somewhat more efficient as it
  pre-allocates all of the required space while attaching (the last time I
  checked). contigmalloc() may have trouble finding the required
  contiguous physical pages after a certain period of uptime. I would
  assume that when this was initially written that it was real nice to have
  around, but I'm not sure if this is still the correct approach for
  reaching our present goals.

  Regards,

  Bosko Milekic
  bmilekic@technokratis.com