Date:      Tue, 25 Jun 2002 11:13:45 -0700
From:      Brian Nelson <notgod@notgod.com>
To:        Niels Provos <provos@citi.umich.edu>
Cc:        Brian Nelson <notgod@notgod.com>, FreeBSD Security <security@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: ENOUGH!!! Re: [openssh-unix-announce] Re: Upcoming OpenSSH vu lner ability (fwd)

Niels Provos wrote:
> Privilege Separation has been committed to OpenSSH in the middle of
> March this year.  It is not just a few days old.

--- QUOTING THEO ---
OpenSSH 3.3p was released a few days ago, with various improvements
but in particular, it significantly improves the Linux and Solaris
support for priv sep.  However, it is not yet perfect.  Compression is
disabled on some systems, and the many varieties of PAM are causing
major headaches.
--- END QUOTING THEO ---

That would make this release "a few days old"... and has platform
support issues, according to this announcement.  I have heard no
official response form FreeBSD about the stability/ability to privsep on
FreeBSD from anyone I remotely trust.

So far, against all odds, Brett Glass has had the most stable,
unemotional, and responsible response to this whole issue...  everyone
else likes to yell at you when you don't trust whatever they say because
they are "big head figures" or suffering from "Young Geek Ego(tm)".