Date:      Mon, 2 Feb 1998 09:38:39 -0500 (EST)
From:      John Fieber <jfieber@indiana.edu>
To:        Allen Campbell <allenc@verinet.com>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: samba-1.9.17p2

On Sun, 1 Feb 1998, Allen Campbell wrote:

> The samba-1.9.17p2 package from the 2.2.5 distribution does not create a
> smb.conf file. I pkg_delete'd it and re-pkg_added it (bit of windows
> think there 8) ), no joy. No smb.conf is listed in the +CONTENTS file.
> What am I assuming wrong or not RTFMing?

It is installed as ${PREFIX}/etc/smb.conf.default.  You copy that
file to smb.conf and edit appropriately.  There is a good reason
it isn't listed in the +CONTENTS file: if you upgrade samba by
deleting the old package and installing the new, it will
obediantly delete the smb.conf file you so carefully constructed.
This way, your config file remains untouched.

-john