Date:      Tue, 22 Feb 2000 18:30:21 +0100 (CET)
From:      Soren Schmidt <sos@freebsd.dk>
To:        adsharma@sharmas.dhs.org (Arun Sharma)
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ABIT BP6, UDMA-66 and wdc AC310200

It seems Arun Sharma wrote:
> > Do you have the prober 80pin cable ?? if so please provide a verbose boot...
>
> Thanks, that fixed the problem. Has anyone benchmarked the driver ? A very
> unscientific benchmark that I ran didn't seem to produce much of a difference
> between UDMA33 and UDMA66. In both cases, I got roughly 13 MB/s.

There are almost no mesureable difference between UDMA33 and UDMA66, all
mesurements I've done (and have read about) sees little if no difference,
in fact some drives can be faster under UDMA33 even if they support the
higher rate too.

> # dd if=/dev/ad4s2 of=/dev/null bs=40960k count=10
> 10+0 records in
> 10+0 records out
> 419430400 bytes transferred in 30.797045 secs (13619177 bytes/sec)

Thats probably close to what your drive can pull of the platters...
I get 22-23MB/sec off an IBM DPTA drive here with < 1% cpu usage,
so the driver is not the problem..
I have a config with 7 disks online, giving me a raw throughput
of ~100MB/s sustained, that is about the limit of what can be done
over the PCI bus...

-Søren