Date:      Wed, 18 Jun 1997 15:10:06 -0700 (MST)
From:      chad@anasazi.com (Chad R. Larson)
To:        wkchang@nyct.net (Andre Chang)
Cc:        chad@anasazi.com, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Netscape and Java

> Chad R. Larson wrote:
>
> > I suspect this should be a FAQ, but I couldn't find =the= answer at
> > either the Netscape or the FreeBSD web site...
> >
> > I've got a 2.1-STABLE system with Netscape 3.01 installed.  It works
> > just fine, with one exception.  Java applets do not run.  No useful
> > error messages or anything, just no workie.

We were barking up the wrong tree.

The problem was the X windows server I was using.  It was X11R3
(approximately).  When I changed to an X11R6 server, things were fine
with the setup I had.

Now, =why= the server would cause Netscape to silently fail might be an
interesting problem.  I suppose while it was feeling up the server it
found some capability or extension it wanted was missing.

But dontcha think it should complain?

	-crl
--
Chad R. Larson (CRL22)                          Brother, can you paradigm?
602-870-3330    chad@anasazi.com     chad@anasaz.UUCP      chad@dcfinc.com