Date:      14 Oct 1997 13:14:49 +0200
From:      dag-erli@ifi.uio.no (Dag-Erling Coidan Smørgrav)
To:        scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   UFS on MO disks

I have an Olympus MO330S magneto-optical drive connected to my 2.2.1R
system. When I mount it with a FAT-formatted disk in the drive, it
works just fine (at least I've never experienced any data errors) but
I get a bunch of "Illegal logical block address" or somesuch error
messages on the console. (Sorry if the error messages are not exact;
the box with the MO is two miles from here and I didn't remember to
write them down)

So I thought I'd try to format a disk with UFS and see if it worked
better (plus the added benefit of a more efficient FS with proper
access control and long file names). /stand/sysinstall slices it up
nicely, but when I try to write changes from the labler, newfs dies
with an "invalid argument" error. Now disklabel -r /dev/od0 won't work
(though that isn't a big problem since I can copy an MBR back from
another disk)

Does anyone have experience newfs'ing MO disks?

--
 * Finrod (INTJ) * Unix weenie * dag-erli@ifi.uio.no * cellular +47-92835919 *
  RFC1123: "Be liberal in what you accept, and conservative in what you send"