Date:      Sun, 25 Apr 2004 13:58:08 +0100
From:      "Markie" <mark.cullen@dsl.pipex.com>
To:        <ecrist@secure-computing.net>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Home server upgrade 4.9 -> 5.2.1, drop in hard diskornetworkperformance?

----- Original Message -----
From: "Eric Crist" <ecrist@secure-computing.net>
To: "Markie" <mark.cullen@dsl.pipex.com>
Sent: Saturday, April 24, 2004 1:27 AM
Subject: Re: Home server upgrade 4.9 -> 5.2.1, drop in hard
diskornetworkperformance?

| On Friday 23 April 2004 09:04, you wrote:
|
| [snip]
|
| > I just now swapped the old 3com card in the servers box with the intel
card
| > from that one and well... it seems to be working fine! Is this a bad
driver
| > or bad hardware? I still have a routing problem, before I can do
anything
| > with the internet after a new connection I have to do the following:
| >
| > route delete default
| > route add <new internet ip>
| > route -n add default -iface <new internet ip>
| >
| > but with this modem it appears you have to do this on openbsd and
netbsd
| > too. I am going to hunt down a way to do it automatically :o) I will
also
| > test the transfer rate stuff again to make sure it wasn't just that old
| > card doing something nasty.... although I doubt it'd be that
| >
| > I will keep you informed for what it's worth :o)
|
| This is pretty simple.  Simply add the following line to the /etc/rc.conf
| file:
|
| default_route="ip.address.here.please"
|
| HTH

I don't have a static IP address? :o)

Just got back home from a gig today to find the box had locked up again
with 2 icmp redirect messages on the console and an ATA timeout thing

Apr 23 20:54:28 bone kernel: icmp redirect from 80.145.155.146: 0.0.0.0 =>
217.4.98.129
Apr 24 19:13:21 bone kernel: icmp redirect from 195.36.246.89:
192.168.2.100 => 217.5.98.154
Apr 24 23:49:35 bone kernel: ad2: TIMEOUT - WRITE_DMA retrying (2 retries
left) LBA=1663

Just like that... i'm not sure if it's the timeout that caused the lockup
this time or not. I thought swapping the network cards had fixed it..
well.. I dunno, maybe this is something different?