Date:      Sat, 23 Sep 2000 12:32:02 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG, FreeBSD SMP list <FreeBSD-smp@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Locking doc.?

On Friday, 22 September 2000 at 19:50:11 -0700, Julian Elischer wrote:
> Do we have a document that descibes in great detail the
> locking policy that the SMPng code should follow?
>
> I've seen several descriptionms as to how it might be done,
> but I haven't seen a "Ok we've decided that this is the strategy
> we are using"  document.

I haven't seen one either.  On the one hand it might be a little early
to come up with a (restrictive) policy document, but I do think we
should be discussing more actively how we go about subdividing the
locking.  There's been plenty of experience in the past to show that
it's madness to just go about subdividing locks.

Greg