Date:      Sat, 15 May 1999 09:48:37 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Licia <licia@o-o.org>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Is it ok to use the FreeBSD name in a cyberpunkish

On Sat, 15 May 1999, Terry Lambert wrote:
> > >(smiles) I've got to get around to writing that glossary :)  c&e is slang the
> > >characters use to mean 'compress and encrypt', I'll try to start a glossary
> > >when I get episode 2 online, and update it with each new episode :)
> >
> > I have a better suggestion: Incorporate it in the story. When a slang term
> > is used for the first time, find some excuse to explain to the reader what
> > it means but not in an obvious way.
> >
> > Otherwise you are forcing the reader to interrupt the reading experience
> > just to look something up in a glossary.
>
> Ian M. Banks and William Gibson both delay definition of terms until
> well after they have been mentioned (thrid or fourth mention is in a
> context where an explanation is necessary to an outsider, usually by
> a minor character to a secondary character).  I believe that Jeff Noon
> (Vurt, Pollen) uses similar techniques, as did Roger Zelazny.
>
> Capitalizing the initials indicates their representative nature,
> however, and is important to their understanding as initials.
>
> A similar literary technique is the internal dialog -- e.g.:
>
> 	Jessie started the C&E, hoping there was time; as she
> 	fretted away the minutes, it seemed that the compression
> 	took forever.  "Get a hold of yourself, girl", she told
> 	herself, "It's just the time pressure".  But something
> 	was wrong; the encryption was taking more than twice as
> 	long as it should have, worst case.  She hear muffled
> 	sounds in the hallway: it was obvious that Hector was
> 	closing in.  She fingered the pin on the viral grenade;
> 	she'd use the thing, if it came to that.  She was pretty
> 	sure she'd use the thing.  She hoped it wouldn't come to
> 	that.  God, please don't let it come to that...
>
> In general, as long as it's explained or hinted at before it's
> used four or more times, it's enough.
>
> I think that you are suffering "serial shock".  8-).
>

> 					Terry Lambert
> 					terry@lambert.org

Hehehe interesting, and I've used similar devices before, but I just don't
feel it would go right for this story :)  I've posted Episode 2 and the
glossary :)  I suggest people either read the episode then look up words in
the glossary, or read the glossary then the episode :)

[ EMail : licia@o-o.org              ] [ Name    : Christine (Licia) Maxwell ]
[ Home  : http://www.o-o.org/~licia/ ] [ Hobbies : write, program, web, chat ]
[ BBS   : http://www.o-o.org/bbs/    ] [ Handles : Licia / LadyWolf / Sysop  ]
[ OS    : http://www.freebsd.org/    ] [ Profiled: finger profiled@o-o.org   ]