Date:      Fri, 1 Dec 2006 15:49:18 -0500 (EST)
From:      Charles Sprickman <spork@bway.net>
To:        Jamie Clark <jamie@zeroth.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: vr speed issues

On Fri, 1 Dec 2006, Jamie Clark wrote:

> Charles Sprickman wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I spent some time trying to track down slow tcp performance on a small
>> office switched 100 LAN.  We just put in a number of whitebox PCs running
>> FreeBSD 6.1-p2/PC-BSD 1.2 that all have onboard Via Rhine 10/100 ethernet
>> controllers.  Performace with scp was around 200KB/s, ftp wavered between
>> 300-500KB/s.  This did not appear to be a duplex mismatch - unmanaged
>> switch showed them all at 100/Full, put some other hosts on the same
>> ports/cabling and got near wire speed.  I took the cabling out of the
>> equation, the switch, no improvement.  The only thing that got me decent
>> performance was putting two hosts back to back with an xover cable.
>>
>> I eventually realized that the only hosts with any speed issues in the
>> office were these boxes with the Via ethernet.  Putting an equally cheap
>> DLink (RealTek/rl) in one of them gave me much better performance.
> [...]
>
> There might be something in this. I have a 2-3 yr old box with an Asus A7V8X
> mainboard. This has been running 4.10-RELEASE for about 2.5 years and
> yesterday I decided to bite the bullet and update to RELENG_6. I also decided
> to upgrade the internal storage as well so this entailed a backup/restore
> over the wire.
>
> Backing up the 4.10 box was within an acceptable margin of wire speed (~8MB/s
> on 100M ethernet) given that a router was in the middle. That's roughly how
> the box has always performed.
>
> After installing 6.1_RELEASE and updating to RELENG_6 I started the restore.
> Maxed out at about 380kB/s. Now I tested the backup speed again and it has
> also dropepd to 380k.

Excellent!  That's some good info.  Same hardware, and you get performance
like I'm seeing.

There's lots of changes.  :)

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/sys/pci/if_vr.c.diff?r1=1.26.2.14&r2=1.116&f=h

> This would definitely lead me to assume that something has gone awry in the
> driver over the past years. Unfortunately I have not been frequently updating
> this machine (my imap server) so I have no idea when the driver became
> broken.
>
> I realize that this is not much help in tracking the problem - but it seems
> to concur with the problem noted here earlier.

I'm going to dig up some kind of 4.11 live cd, a 5.x live cd and some kind
of simple linux live cd and have him do some quick ftp tests under each.

If I see the same thing, then I'll file a PR and call this a regression.

Thanks!

Charles