Date:      Sun, 19 Sep 1999 11:31:06 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>
Cc:        Doug <Doug@gorean.org>, FreeBSD-committers@FreeBSD.org, Kazutaka YOKOTA <yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp>, hackers@FreeBSD.org, sos@FreeBSD.org, bde@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: panic() the system from the console (was: Re: kern/13721: There is no way to force system panic from console)

[including -committers for political correctness]

On Friday, 17 September 1999 at 11:45:36 +0200, Sheldon Hearn wrote:
> On Thu, 16 Sep 1999 13:30:30 MST, Doug wrote:
>> 	Would not the 'panic' option in DDB be enough to handle this, or
>> am I missing something?
>
> He wanted a to be able to panic() a machine from console without being
> able to drop to DDB from console. I think this is because he believes
> that DDB is a security problem. :-)

Well, I'm missing something: the beginning of this thread, so this may
not be 100% relevant, but I've just had the situation. So:

I believe that panicing the system is also a security problem.  But
sometimes people have hangs and just want to get a dump.  Installing
DDB is overkill for this situation; how about a key attribute that
panics the system?  It would probably make sense to have a sysctl or
some such to enable it.

Greg