Date:      Mon, 13 Nov 2000 07:16:49 -0800
From:      Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca>
To:        Will Andrews <will@physics.purdue.edu>
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: updating rdist

In message <20001112140045.K555@puck.firepipe.net>, Will Andrews writes:
> On Sat, Nov 11, 2000 at 03:59:05AM -0800, David O'Brien wrote:
> > I have just committed a `44bsd-rdist' port.
> > So the question is, do we totally remove `rdist' from the base system,
> > or update it to rdist 6.1.5?
>
> I personally think it's better to remove it and update in ports.  Cy
> Schubert makes a good point (if it is valid; I didn't check and don't
> know myself) that 44bsd-rdist and rdist6 are interoperable on mutally
> exclusive systems.  Hence, it makes sense that a system administrator
> should need to look in ports for what they need.

The description file from the rdist6 ports states:

	This version of rdist is not directly compatible with rdist
	distributed with 4.3BSD and subsequent vendor releases, but does
	indirectly provide full backward compatibility.

From the rdist6(1) man page:

       The  -Server option is recognized to provide partial back-
       ward compatible support for older versions of rdist  which
       used  this option to put rdist into server mode.  If rdist
       is started with the -Server command line option,  it  will
       attempt  to  exec  (run)  the  old version of rdist.  This
       option will only work if rdist was compiled with the loca-
       tion of the old rdist (usually either /usr/ucb/oldrdist or
       /usr/old/rdist) and that program is available at run time.

To support both the classic rdist and rdist6 protocols, both need to be
installed.

Team Leader, Sun/DEC Team   Internet:  Cy.Schubert@osg.gov.bc.ca
Open Systems Group, ITSD, ISTA
Province of BC