Date:      Sun, 1 Jun 1997 23:59:50 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Wolfgang Helbig <helbig@MX.BA-Stuttgart.De>
To:        sachs@interactive.net (Jay Sachs)
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 2.2.2, start_if.tun0 and sendmail

> My 'net connection is made solely via PPP by the following line in
> /etc/start_if.tun0:
>
>   /usr/sbin/ppp -ddial ondemand >/dev/null 2>&1
>
> sendmail is configured in /etc/rc.conf with
>
>   sendmail_enable="YES"   # Run the sendmail daemon (or NO).
>   sendmail_flags="-bd -q30m" # -bd is pretty mandatory
>
> For whatever reason, sendmail won't daemonize until the ppp connection
> is established.  The problem with this is that the boot-up process
[ ... ]
> I understand that one other option is to put the ppp startup in
> rc.local, in which case sendmail just breezes by.  But I'd like to
> start up the ppp connection ASAP.

What does /var/log/maillog show? I once had this problem and the reason
was an "unknown" interface address on a point to point interface (10.0.0.1)
During bootup sendmail just stood there and I had to send ^C to it to proceed
with booting. The line in maillog complained about this address not being
resolvabel to a host name. So I put
10.0.0.1   dummy
in /etc/hosts and sendmail started happily thereafter.

Wolfgang