Date:      Tue, 25 Jul 2000 11:44:45 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Linh Pham <lplist@q.closedsrc.org>
To:        Nader Turki <nturki@adelphia.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Dual Processors

On Tue, 25 Jul 2000, Nader Turki wrote:

> Hi there,
> My machine is a:
> PII400MHz
> 512MB ECC PC100 SDRAM
> 9.1GB SCSI Ultra2 LVD
> 36.4GB SCSI Ultra2 LVD
>
> I'm using the machine as a shell/web server it's pretty fast and nice.
> I was thinking to upgrade to a Dual PII400MHz ... Will my machine be faster
> with a Dual PII400MHz? I mean will I be able to tell the difference? If yes
> ... will there be a big difference? Hope someone answer me soon.

The performance increase depends on if the application(s) that you use are
multi-threaded capable and if they are CPU intensive enough to matter.

Having a second processor is nice to off-load some processing cycles to
the other processor, leaving more cycles available on the primary
processor for more important tasks (like RC5 :)

In most cases, having a second processor in a web server is wasteful, but
if you also run back-end applications (like database, web applications,
etc.) it might help.

// Linh Pham
// http://closedsrc.org