Date:      Sat, 25 Jul 1998 14:31:36 +0200
From:      Andreas Klemm <andreas@klemm.gtn.com>
To:        Satoshi Asami <asami@cs.berkeley.edu>, andreas@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG, scrappy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: qt and mico-latest

On Sat, Jul 25, 1998 at 04:47:37AM -0700, Satoshi Asami wrote:
> The qt131/qt133/qt140 split is not really functional because of shared
> library versioning.  With both libqt.so.1.33 and libqt.so.1.40
> installed, ldconfig will not pick up libqt.so.1.33, and ld will always
> use libqt.so.1.40.  This causes (for instance) the mico-latest port to
> @pkgdep on qt-1.33 while linking against qt-1.40.  This is bad.
                                                     ^^^^^^^^^^^

Yes.

> There are several courses of actions:
>
> (1) The tcl/tk route.  Rename libqt.so.1.40 to libqt140.so.1.0 or
>     something.  The only feasible solution if we have at least one
>     port depend on each of the qt versions.

Hmm...

> (2) Only use one of the qt's as dependencies and mark all the others
>     with MANUAL_PACKAGE_BUILD.

Hmm...

> (3) Delete all but one of the qt's.

Would be easiest solution. How about backward compatibility ?

> I guess (3) is out of question as there should be a reason why you
> asked me to split the ports in the first place.

You wanted me to do so because of the TCL/TK version mess !
And I agreed. But possibly we have more luck with qt in terms of
backward compatibility.

> Looing at
> ports/INDEX, (2) doesn't seem to work either, unless all those ports
> that depend on 1.40 actually can work with 1.33 (or something like
> that).

We should ask in ports if nobody objects nuking the other qt libs.

--
Andreas Klemm                                http://www.FreeBSD.ORG/~andreas
     What gives you 90% more speed, for example, in kernel compilation ?