Date:      Tue, 4 Feb 2003 15:30:12 +1030
From:      Greg Lewis <glewis@eyesbeyond.com>
To:        "Georg-W. Koltermann" <g.w.k@web.de>
Cc:        Alexey Zelkin <phantom@FreeBSD.org.ua>, Max Khon <fjoe@iclub.nsu.ru>, freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: jdk 1.4.1 patchset2 is coming ...

On Mon, Feb 03, 2003 at 11:43:27PM +0100, Georg-W. Koltermann wrote:
> What does this mean for the -current branch? Has the libc_r stuff been
> included in 5.0-R, or will I need to CVSup to current -current?

Its not in 5.0-R.  You'll either need to patch your libc_r (patch is
included in the patchset) or CVSup to CURRENT.

> P.S.: Hey guys I am just upgrading my -stable system to 5.0-R *because*
> JDK1.4 was reported not to run well on -stable.  Now you announce you
> have done all further porting work on -stable and only lightly tested on
> -current.  Grumble.
>
> A while earlier, last year, I ran -current because billh did all of his
> HotSpot work on -current.  Then I converted to -stable as life in
> -current became too hot (too much work, I mean) to me and as the libc_r
> patches for HotSpot had been backported.
>
> I feel like chasing a permanent current-stable-current-stable spiral of
> Java development in FreeBSD.  Shouldn't we all agree on *one* primary os
> branch for Java, announce that, and stick with it?

FreeBSD support has _always_ been targeted at STABLE.  CURRENT is too much
of a moving target plus many of the team don't have a CURRENT system to
test on.  That said, of necessity some of the bleeding edge port features
initially rely on bleeding edge FreeBSD support.

--
Greg Lewis                          Email   : glewis@eyesbeyond.com
Information Technology              FreeBSD : glewis@FreeBSD.org