Date:      Fri, 24 Dec 2010 09:43:13 +0600
From:      Victor Sudakov <vas@mpeks.tomsk.su>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: rc.d and environment variables

Polytropon wrote:
> > I have tried putting "setenv KRB5_KTNAME /home/svn/svn.keytab" in
> > ~svn/.cshrc, it does not help. Evidently the svn user's login shell is
> > not called when "/usr/local/etc/rc.d/svnserve start" is called.
>
> I did already assume something like that. This mechanism
> relies on some kind of login that causes the shell to be
> run (usually an interactive shell), which isn't the case
> here.

Besides, the login.conf capability database does not seem to be used
by the rc.d framework either, which is sad.

> > Excuse me? What does /etc/rc.local have to do with the rc.subr
> > framework?
>
> Nothing. The /etc/rc.local script is executed along with
> the system startup. It is considered obsolete (I think),
> but it should work, and therefore be able to set a system-wide
> environment variable.

I guess any environment variable set in the /etc/rc.local script would
be available in the script itself and its children, but not system
wide. Even if it were, remember, I do not need to change KRB5_KTNAME
system wide, but just for one particular user.

[dd]

> Anyway, did you find a way to use some _flags= setting for
> /etc/rc.conf to be used by svnserve? This would be the
> method most other programs handle things like configuration
> flags that are not set by an own config file.

To my regret, this is not a svnserve option, it is a setting used by
libsasl2 with which svnserve is linked.

--
Victor Sudakov,  VAS4-RIPE, VAS47-RIPN
sip:sudakov@sibptus.tomsk.ru