Date:      Fri, 24 Nov 1995 09:51:22 -0500
From:      Glen Foster <gfoster@gfoster.com>
To:        doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Useful addition to handbook?

Yes, I know submissions are more appropriate than requests! :-)

One thing I don't understand and haven't been able to find much
information on is documentation on the structure and capabilities of
the 'bmake' source code build system in FreeBSD.  Of course, one of
the most significant features of the OS is that all sources are
available and it is relatively easy to build and install them.  There
appears to be a fair amount of information available on make itself
but I can't find any on FreeBSD implementation details (except the
Makefiles themselves but they are tough sledding without sufficient
background).

I would like to know things like what targets do what in the various
make files in various places, what can go wrong, and how does one best
recover.  Here are a few questions I have after (partially) trying to
install a system from source: if a 'make world' falls over for some
reason or another, can one restart with a plain old 'make' or must one
understanding, wipes all the work done up to that point)?  Does 'make
world' also install libraries and binaries or is a 'make install'
required?  What are all those weird make targets in
/usr/src/etc/Makefile?

It would also be helpful to have a reference for make's cryptic error
exits.  I'm sure that programmers know what "Error code 1" means and
how to fix it but there must be many of us who don't even know where
to look to decipher it (at least I hope I'm not the only one!)

Perhaps an entry in Part 4, section 14 "Staying current with FreeBSD"
would encourage someone who understands this to clarify it for those
of us who are clue challenged (but want to become better informed).

I am aware of the distinct possibility that I may be way off base on
this and that the whole thing is perfectly documented somewhere.  If
so, I apologize for wasting everybody's time with this message.

Glen Foster <gfoster@gfoster.com>