Date:      Mon, 25 Feb 2002 05:49:27 -0800
From:      Benjamin Krueger <benjamin@macguire.net>
To:        Joseph Koenig <joe@jwebmedia.com>
Cc:        "'freebsd-questions@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Sendmail - Need Help Fast

* Joseph Koenig (joe@jwebmedia.com) [020225 05:35]:
> Well, I just discovered that users on my system can not send mail OUT
> because relaying is off by default (which is a good thing). So I have
> listed their IPs in the relay-domains file in /etc/mail - however, my
> question is this: Say someone as a dynamic IP, such as from a dialup or
> adsl. How do I go about putting in that domain so that they can always
> send out mail? For example, one is adsl-217-154-35-200.xxx.co.uk. Will
> listing xxx.co.uk or .xxx.co.uk work? Is there a better way than listing
> everything allowed in relay-domains? Thanks,
>
> Joe

Joe,

	There are at least two recommended methods for solving the problem you
describe. The first of which is using SMTP Authentication within Sendmail. I
have always found this problematic as it adds yet more confusion to the
sendmail configuration, and the user client configuration processes.

	The second, and my preferred, method is POP before SMTP. With this, users
must pop their mail before they may send through the SMTP. This is often easier
for them to manage. I did, at one point, have an open script that I could share
with others to implement this, however I can no longer distribute it.

	The basic premise is to watch users who pop their mail, and drop their IP into
a dynamic SMTP relay-allow for a period of your choosing. (Normally, I use about
10 minutes which is plenty for sending even large documents over a dialup
connection.) After this time, their IP is removed from the relay again. This
method will also work fine for IMAP (IMAP before SMTP).

I hope this gives you somewhere to start in solving your problem.

--
Benjamin Krueger

"From the moment I picked up your book until I laid it down, I
was convulsed with laughter. Some day I intend reading it."
- Groucho Marx