Date:      Sun, 3 May 1998 10:33:37 -0400
From:      Howard Goldstein <hgoldste@bbs.mpcs.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        harry@visiontm.com
Subject:   Re: PPPD and Proxyarp

Harry wrote:

 :
 : "Cannot determine ethernet address for proxy ARP"
 :
 : The man page for PPPD says "The proxyarp option causes pppd to look for a
 : network interface on the same subnet as the remote host". I assume this is
 : my problem as my local net is 192.168.93 and my PPP connection is
 : 208.236.113. I just can't figure out how to 1) tell PPPD what the route is
 : to the ed0 interface or 2) change whatever problem setting I have in my
 : local settings.
 : ifconfig_ed0="inet 192.168.93.204  netmask 255.255.255.0"

I've seen the "can't determine" prob happen when the proxied address
is on a net that isn't attached to an ethernet interface, as is the
case here.  The proxyarp wants to see an ARPing interface on the same
net that you're trying to proxyarp.

(the other messages address an even more fundamental problem
concerning the attempt to expose a 192.168 address on the net.  The
above just deals with proxy arping)

--
The ants are my friends, they're blowing in the wind