Date:      Fri, 17 Nov 1995 10:17:49 +0100 (MET)
From:      Didier Derny <didier@omnix.fr.org>
To:        Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
Cc:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: pty

On Thu, 16 Nov 1995, Terry Lambert wrote:

> > > Implement a cloning pty driver.
> >
> > In fact I have to control 32 pty with the same process. It might be
> > more interesting for me to write a driver to multiplex 32 slaves on only
> > one master.
>
> Er.  This makes no sense.
>
> Unless your program is not going to distinguish between slaves?
>
> I'd think the process would care which is which because of implied state.
>

> 					Terry Lambert
> 					terry@lambert.org
> ---
> or previous employers.

the data would be send and received on the pty side as small blocks.
each block would be delimited with STX an ETX

example:

STX CODE CHAN DATA ETX

CODE: indicates the nature of the block
      start a new connection, data, or disconnect

CHAN: ttyp number

It's a protocol wildely use in france for minitel servers.
(ASM protocol)

either I write a program to control 32 pty and feed them with the data
from the ASM box or I control only one special pty an the driver do the
job...

| Didier Derny        |
| didier@omnix.fr.org |