Date:      Mon, 28 Oct 1996 10:27:17 +1100 (EST)
From:      Carl Makin <cmakin@nla.gov.au>
To:        questions@freefall.freebsd.org, Thomas David Rivers <ponds!rivers@dg-rtp.dg.com>
Subject:   Re: IP-masquerading for private networks.

>  I'd like to have unfettered internet access to the world at-large.
> [Right now, I log onto the mail server, run a shell script to do
> the slattach and telnet/ftp from there.]

>  I've seen some solutions:

> 	1) IP masquerading implemented as part of the user-mode PPP.

> 		- This doesn't work for me because my connections are SL/IP.

There is a IP Filter package that includes  IP Natural Address Translation
that will run under FreeBSD.  It's called "IPFilter" and it's home page
is;

http://coombs.anu.edu.au/~avalon/ip-filter.html

There is a beta version of 3.1.1 out that fixes some FreeBSD problems (and
others :) with 3.1.0. I'd recommend you grab the 3.1.1beta2 from;

ftp://coombs.anu.edu.au/pub/net/firewall/ip-filter/ip_fil3.1.1beta2.tar.gz

I'm running the beta1 as a LKM under FreeBSD 2.1.5R.

It allows me to do most things from my host network although I also have
sockd and SquidCache installed on the gateway and use them for FTP and
HTTP (Recommended).

Carl.

--
Carl Makin (VK1KCM)  <http://email.nla.gov.au/~cmakin/>;