Date:      Wed, 5 Jul 2000 12:39:05 +0200 (SAT)
From:      John Hay <jhay@mikom.csir.co.za>
To:        jkoshy@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Upgrading from 3-STABLE to 4-STABLE from sources

> jh> Have you tried the way that is described in /usr/src/UPDATING? It did
> jh> work for me a few weeks back. I don't know if it has been broken after
> jh> that.
>
> I hadn't realized that /usr/src/UPDATING was useful on the 4-STABLE branch.
> It isn't very useful on 3-STABLE.

I used the version in 4-STABLE as reference during the upgrade.

> No, I didn't follow the procedure in /usr/src/UPDATING.  I did a `make
> world' and then had to rescue the system.
>
> The procedure in /usr/src/UPDATING seems more comprehensive, and also
> somewhat more terse that what I had posted.  If the `make installworld'
> step there uses the newly built GCC (v2.95.2) then it should work correctly.
>
> The use of `__func__', the troublesome GCCism, brought into the 4-STABLE
> branch of "src/sys/i386/i386/in_cksum.c" on 2000/05/05.  Was your upgrade
> done after this date?

No, but I suspect that part at least should still work, because the
"make buildkernel KERNEL=<YOUR_KERNEL_HERE>" target in /usr/src/Makefile
and friends use the newly built compiler to build the kernel, so it should
succeed.

John
--
John Hay -- John.Hay@mikom.csir.co.za