Date:      Tue, 2 Jul 1996 02:23:05 +1000
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        bde@zeta.org.au, fenner@parc.xerox.com
Cc:        current@freebsd.org, terry@lambert.org
Subject:   Re: Problem Report docs/731

>In message <199606290759.RAA29925@godzilla.zeta.org.au> you write:
>>2a) Investigate possible breakage of socketpair() in foreign libraries
>>    (BSDI, Linux, etc).  Any library that uses the previously suggested
>>    fix of handling socketpair() like pipe() will break.

>NetBSD doesn't touch retval at all (e.g. they simply deleted the two
>XXX lines), like many system calls.  Terry's suggestion of setting it
>to 0 obviously does no harm but is kind of belt-n-suspenders.  Thus
>fixing it in libc will likely break NetBSD compatibility.

Linux (the FreeBSD emulator) needs the same treatment as NetBSD.  I think
it needs a `*retval = 0;' if we fix the problem in the library.  Linux
uses the same method (of returning the results in memory) for pipe(), so
the emulator has to do a copyout() for pipe().

This leaves only BSDI to investigate.

Bruce