Date:      Thu, 4 Jun 1998 17:00:30 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Adrian Filipi-Martin <adrian@nvl.virginia.edu>
To:        "Jan B. Koum " <jkb@best.com>
Cc:        freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: "Linux is UNIX, and FreeBSD is not?"

On Thu, 4 Jun 1998, Jan B. Koum  wrote:

> 	Who cares? We still have the better OS. Names are nothing in this
> game to techies - and they are the ones in most cases making decisions.
>
> -- Yan

	I wish that were true.  I certainly wasn't the techie that said go
out and buy a bunch of WinNT PC's for my lab.  All too frequently PC
purchasing decisions are being taken out of techie-hands, because it is
perceived as no more complex than buying any other piece of office
equipment.  This is one reason why MS can get such a big boost out of
trade rag press that only executives see.

	Personally I'd like to see FreeBSD receive some of the major
standards conformance brands like UNIX, POSIX or XPG.  I'd even be willing
to contribute money directly to such an approach.  Cyngnus/GNU was able to
get enough institutions to chip in to get the $100K needed to create a
reliable gcc port when Sun unbundled the C compiler.  Does anmyone thing
we could do the same with FreeBSD standards branding?

	If anything the fact that there is only one FreeBSD is to our
advantage here.  Each Linux distribution will need to independently get
certified.  We only have one OS distribution to worry about.

	While I agree that the branding is not productive in and of
itself, it does open a lot of doors/minds that ignore any product without
such a brand.  If anything, you can then hold up a copy of HP-UX and
FreeBSD in each hand and say, "They're both UNIX(tm). Do you want the
cheaper, faster one or the expenssive, proprietary hardware one?"

	Adrian
--
adrian@virginia.edu        ---->>>>| If I were stranded on a desert island, and
System Administrator         --->>>| I could only have one OS for my computer,